Wednesday, June 29, 2011

Friends in Motion

As I laid newspaper out on the art table this morning, which is the only way I ever get to read the paper it seems, a quote caught my eye and I quickly scribbled it down...

"If you're not doing anything different, you're not doing anything at all."  Edward Tufte on Leadership in the Washington Post.

I'll take it as a challenge to overhaul what I do in the classroom and try to give it a fresh approach.  We'll see if I'm successful or whether like New Year's Resolutions, it lasts 3 days.

But for now, we're engrossed in summer school and motion and action were the bywords of the day.

We began with pendulum painting!  I've done this many times before, but always inside, hanging the cup from the ceiling or once from a broom handle I held while standing on the chair!  Green paint was flung from one end of the room to the other.  Clearly, I needed a new way to do this so I took it outside.  I hung a cup from the grated floor of the climber.  Punched a hole in the bottom of the cup.  Mixed tempera paint and water.  Handed it off to a child. Let it fly.






Check out the motion in the upper left hand corner!
  Today's dangerous thing, (motion above notwithstanding!), Master the Perfect Somersault!


 Tulley contends that somersaults may soon be banned from schools.  I can only guess that this is because of possible neck damage from children flinging themselves onto the floor.  Tulley makes a case that once a somersault is perfected, it will be a handy skill to have should you ever need to recover from a fall...

 Most of us have long since mastered this dangerous skill...


 ...and can do it repeatedly quite proficiently...



 ...with expert form and grace...



 ...not to mention speed!  Dangerous thing #03/50...check!


 We continued driving nails...


 I pulled him off the table a minute later but I've gotta love the enthusiasm that beckons him to crawl right into what he's working on...

 We explored the properties of magnets and their polarity...


...and the added dimension of building on a mirror...

 Again we used real tools to do real work...


 ...and in honor of the REAL International Mud Day, we revisited our ever present puddle...


 You just know what happens next!


 You guessed correctly!


 Joy in motion...


 ...again...


 ...and again...


 ...and again.


And apropos of nothing, simply a lovely way to serve a lunch...all in one container...nothing touching!

No comments:

Post a Comment