Wednesday, November 30, 2011

Sparks Fly!

We tried a couple of new things today to spark inquiry and ended up with sparks of a different kind...


Materials:  blow dryers, crayons, willing artists


We experimented at first on how to hold crayon in place.  I thought weighting it with a screw driver would work but the crayon rolled around.  Here Nathan holds the crayon in place while Kevin manipulates the blow dryer.  Eventually, the heat from the dryer is too much.


Eventually, the crayons were taped in place.


After much experimenting blowing the crayons around on the table, blasting our friends with the heat of the hair dryers, we realized that constant and steady heat directed at the crayons was necessary to cause the crayon to...


...begin to melt!


And continue to melt!





So fascinating to DO and WATCH!


We blew out one outlet (or the hair dryers overheated!) and so we moved to another outlet with a new pair of workers.


I can see this will be a work in progress for days to come, both because of the stamina of the hairdryers (not to mention our electrical circuits!)...


...and the number of interested participants.  Pam was perhaps the most fascinated of all!


In our third location, Nathan works on both canvases at once, blowing the melted wax from one to another.


Amber's next!

Meanwhile, over at another table...



water + oil + food color


+ pipettes!



There was no talk of density and layers, just the hands on discovery of it




The pouring from container to container kept Alessandra spellbound! (Her cup eventually runneth over!)




Pipettes require practice...squeezing the bulb both sucks up and releases the liquid...Jacob demonstrates his two handed finesse with this tool.


Sometimes the best experimenting comes when we just make materials available for discovery.  What will happen when I add the food color to the water?  What will happen when I add it to the oil?  What will happen when I combine the water and oil?  What will happen when I stir it up?  One can never do it enough and there is never enough to do it with!  Children need more!



And because we love doing the same things over and over, we did lots of building...Lili built this and just before I clicked, Nathan and Amber replaced a corner of the foundation which had been "accidentally" knocked out...such steady hands and respect for another's work...


...and the big blocks were in use too! 

Remy:  Jacob!  What am I  going to be today?
Jacob:  You're the person who makes everything great!
Remy:  Jacob!  What are you going to be?
Jacob:  The person that drives it.


...as were the legos...Miles builds a border around his base...


Annabelle chooses her blocks carefully


Leila's person stands alone in a wide open space




Grady builds a border too.


It may not look like building, but Kevin holds the broken petal in place as he uses the marble marimba.  We need to get this repaired!  Know any builders? :-)

No comments:

Post a Comment