Tuesday, September 27, 2011

Marvelous Marbles!


Over the weekend, I bought a bunch of packs of water marbles.  I don't really know what they're called but they're sold to put in clear vases with plants.  Steve Spangler Science also sells them in cubes.  They come as tiny little beads, and I bought several packages, each containing one color...John and I put one package of blue and one package of pink out on Monday afternoon in large frames full of water, because they need 4-6 hours to hydrate.


This morning, Alessandra was the first to discover their transformation.


It's hard to explain how delightful they feel...someone said they feel wet but they're not really wet...



I guess they're much the same technology as a disposable diaper.  When mixed with water, they become gel-like and are easily smashed into bits, rather than popped like water balloons...


We quickly discovered that mixing the blue and the pink created purple!



It was VERY hard waiting to be one of the four people who could be at the table at a time.
More, and water marbles were traveling everywhere!


We filled cups with them and poured from one to another...



But mostly we just touched...


...and touched




We loved looking in the mirror and seeing even MORE water marbles!


I couldn't walk by without touching either!


Lili studies one closely...


You will really have to check them out next time you're in the classroom!

No comments:

Post a Comment